Here is a legend with information regarding some of the terms you may see on our availability lists.
Products a always described with the following information in this order:
- Pot Size
- plugs are a small plant generally only for production or landscape projects. These often wont be on our availability list though if you need them for a project please contact us for more information.
- #1, #2, #3, etc. refers to the size of a pot.
- #20s and any other pot sizes with s at the head refer to squat or short pots. There are generally much wider than they are tall.
- B&B refers to balled and burlap plants, these are usually only available in the fall and winter as they are field grown plants.
- WB is a plant with a root ball in a wire basket with burlap. These a usually very large plants that require equipment to move. As with B&B they are field dug and most often only available in fall and winter.
- Spring / Summer / Fall / Winter/ 2022 etc. - This describes when the crop may be ready for sale. We will sell the product if a customer really needs it but we would prefer to wait until it is fully ready. We generally won't ship this crop to any customers unless specially requested.
- Landscape Grade - This describes plants that are not quite up to retail grade however can be used in a landscape setting. They may have an abnormal shape or form, be over grown or just off colour.
- Utility - These plants are usual a very odd shape or slightly damaged. The damage will not be fatal to the plant however it will be visible and not suitable for most projects. Some of these plants may work well in the case of a back area screening or field hedge row.
- 0.0 m / 0.0 m / 0 cm - These refer to plant sizes. Height in meters / Width in meters / Caliper in centimeters.
- Pruned / Topiary / Pompom / Sculpted - Refers to the shape and form of the plant. General that the plant has been shaped in some way from its normal growth pattern.
- Standard / Topgraft - Refers to a plant that has a clear stem before any growth. This can refer to a plant that looks like a lollipop or a shrubby plant like a Camellia being grown in a tree for with a clear trunk.
- Staked - Usually refers to a weeping plant such as a Pine having a staked leader to provide some height to the growth.
- Stock - Due to our current system our stock plants are listed as part of our inventory to allow us to keep track of them. However these are not currently for sale and we must retain these in order to continue to propagate these varieties. We are working to remove these from the current system though it may take some time.
- Repot - These plants are intended for us to repot and are usually very large in their pots. They are not suitable for garden centre sales as they have very little shelf life left and are usually off colour. They can work for landscape projects in a pinch if other options are not available.
The locations in the availability list and on our website refer to the item locations on our 2 sites. Anything with GTN at the beginning is at our site in Nanaimo, you will be able to see these plants if you stop by. Anything with Farm at the beginning is at our second site and will require an appointment to see and that site is not currently open to the public. (if the item only says GTN in its location it is usually something that we have or will produce that we are currently sold out of)
For more information about locations please contact us or stop by the office and ask for a site map when you visit.